Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Deja Vu

It was a dreary morning in central Oregon.  My parents huddled around the radio in their bedroom and talked in hushed tones.  When I stumbled upon this scene I was gripped with fear.  "Are the Russians coming?" I trembled.  It was 1984.  Despite my young age, I knew the Cold War threats full well.  Less than a 1/2 mile down the road my grandparents had a multi-room bomb shelter in the basement of their house.  It was stocked with freeze-dried food my dad sold to supplement his living.  If there was an attack, we were prepared.

Fast forward 30 years.  I live as a neighbor to the country I feared as I child.  Today I sit huddled over the computer and read news reports of an invasion to the south and a growing fear of an even greater attack to the east.  I find myself asking again, "Are the Russians coming?"

No comments:

Post a Comment